Blinn College is encouraging eligible Applied Sciences majors to apply for funds made available through the Carl D. Perkins Basic Grant.
The Perkins Grant is a federally-funded program that provides community colleges with resources to enhance and develop programs that serve faculty, staff and students in career and technical education departments.
Perkins funds can be applied toward textbooks and transportation. Online application atwww.blinn.edu/twe/perkins/financial.html will open at 10 a.m. July 28 and closes at 10 a.m. Aug. 4. Students must complete the Perkins assistance application form during the application dates to be eligible for consideration.
Financial assistance is available on a first-come, first-serve basis for enrolled students. To be eligible, students must:
- be an Applied Sciences or Pre-Applied Sciences major.
- be registered for a minimum of six hours in the Fall or Spring semester and at least three hours to receive assistance for the Summer I or II semesters.
- be enrolled in at least one Applied Sciences degree or certificate plan course (academic or technical).
- have a minimum 2.5 grade-point average.
- have a valid, current Blinn student email address.
- fit into one of six special population categories listed atwww.blinn.edu/twe/perkins/financial.html.
Appointments will be emailed to qualifying students no later than 5 p.m. Aug. 15, and appointments will be held Aug. 18-26.
Founded in 1883, Blinn is a comprehensive community college committed to educational excellence and to individual and community enhancement. With an enrollment of 18,413 students, Blinn ranks among the nation’s leaders in transferring students to leading four-year universities and has received national recognition for its affordable educational excellence.
As part of its commitment to student success, Blinn is currently implementing a Quality Enhancement Plan titled, “Destination Success: First-Year Focus,” which utilizes learning communities to support first-year college students.
Registration is currently available for the Fall semester. For enrollment information and to learn about financial aid opportunities, visit: www.blinn.edu.
(Story courtesy: Rich Bray, Blinn College Information)