A Galveston County woman has filed a lawsuit against Blue Bell Creameries, alleging she became ill after eating ice cream contaminated with listeria.
On April 18, 2015, Ursula Burton bought Blue Bell ice cream at a Valero convenience store. According to the lawsuit, she and her daughter ate the ice cream and shortly thereafter became “violently ill and started to vomit”.
The lawsuit, which was filed on Monday, says Burton was diagnosed with listeriosis and is now lactose intolerant. Burton also alleges her daughter has a dairy sensitivity because she ingested the listeria-tainted ice cream.
Burton is seeking $200,000 to $1 million for medical expenses, physical impairment, lost wages, pain, and anguish.
In 2015, Blue Bell shut down production and recalled all of its products after 10 listeria cases, three of which were fatal.