The Brenham City Council will welcome several newcomers at its meeting Thursday.
Newly elected councilmembers Shannan Canales, Leah Cook and Atwood Kenjura will be sworn in, along with incumbent Clint Kolby. Each will receive the oath of office for a four-year term on the council.
The new councilmembers will then get right to work alongside the rest of the council with a series of work session items, including discussion on future city council meeting and workshop dates and times. During KWHI’s Candidates Forum last month for the city council election, several candidates spoke on the possibility of changing meeting times to the evening to potentially improve public attendance.
The council currently holds regular meetings on the first and third Thursday of each month at 1 p.m. Prior to 2009, the council held all regular meetings at 5:15 p.m.
Any action taken that differs from the city’s current resolution for meeting times will be done in the form of a new resolution, which would be considered at the council’s meeting on May 20th.
Also during work session, the council will hear an update on the proposed historical preservation ordinance, which is being designed to create a decorum in the community where historical preservation is considered a social and economic asset. The ordinance is scheduled to be presented to the council for adoption at its meeting on July 8th.
The council will also:
- Meet in executive session to discuss utility competitive matters and legal issues concerning the gas sales contract between the city and WTG Gas Marketing, Inc. Any action taken will be done in open session.
- Consider electing a Mayor Pro Tem.
- Act upon an ordinance on its first reading amending the Fiscal Year 2020-21 adopted budget.
- Hear a work session presentation of the Fiscal Year 2020-21 first quarter financial report.
- Consider a correction warranty deed to correct the legal description in the original instrument of conveyance related to the real property located at 809 Wilkins Street.
- Potentially accept a bid for project No. 2020-03 related to the Hickory Lane drainage improvement project.
- Consider the second amendment to the interlocal agreement for managing entity by the Brazos Valley Council of Governments (BVCOG) for the Brazos Valley Wide Area Communications System (BVWACS).
- Potentially approve the second amendment to the second restatement of the interlocal agreement for the construction, acquisition, implementation, operation and maintenance of BVWACS.
- Consider amending a resolution authorizing the submission of a grant application through the Office of the Governor’s Public Safety Office – Homeland Security Grants Division for the 2021 State Homeland Security Program for Law Enforcement Terrorism Prevention Activities (LETPA) projects.
The council will meet Thursday afternoon at 1 p.m. at Brenham City Hall.