Across Washington County, the upcoming Veterans Day Centennial weekend will look to honor its veterans in meaningful ways.
Washington County Veterans Association President Ben Seeker says this year marks the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I. He says there are countless veterans in the area that he hopes to see come out and celebrate.
Brenham’s Tourism and Marketing Director Jennifer Eckermann says this centennial year is a reminder of the military’s courage and perseverance over more than 100 years.
Most area churches will have special Sunday Veteran services, in addition to:
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 10
Coffee for Veterans and Their Families
9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Hosted by Daughters of the American Revolution, Chappell Hill Chapter
- Veterans receive free lapel pins
- Four drawings for $50 gift cards
The Rock Store on Main Street, Chappell Hill
Free Admission and refreshments.
More information: 979-661-0325 or 936-443-7713.
Veterans Centennial Celebration
2 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Hosted by the Barnhill Center, City of Brenham, Blue Bell Creameries, KWHI/KTEX, Jabez Deming Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution
- Ceremony to honor Veterans featuring vocalist Nathaniel Hoelscher and the BHS MCJROTC
- Classic Movie on the Big Screen: The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
- Concessions including libations
- Ice Cream Social
- Free mementos
The Barnhill Center at Historic Simon Theatre
Free Admission for Veterans. $10 for all others.
More info and tickets at http://thebarnhillcenter.com.
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 11
Veterans Day At The Park
7 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Hosted by Washington County Veterans Association, The American Legion Posts 48, 814 and 242, Brenham Honor Guard, Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Chapter 139, and Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 7104.
- 7am: Free breakfast for Veterans (bring one guest) at VFW Post, 1200 E. Tom Green Street.
- 11am: Veterans Ceremony at the American Legion Hall in Firemans Park featuring Joel James Schretenthaler, Retired Lieutenant Colonel
- Noon: Barbeque lunch, $12 per person, at the American Legion Hall in Firemans Park
- 2pm: Dedication of the F-111 Fighter-Bomber at American Legion Hall in Firemans Park featuring two Vietnam veterans who flew F-111’s and were shot down and held as POWs
- 2:30pm: Viewing of the F-111 Fighter-Bomber at Henderson Park
Free admission to all activities except lunch, which is $12.
More info and advance lunch tickets: 979-830-8776.
Veterans Day Breakfast
7 a.m., doors open at 6 a.m.
James F. Dillon VFW Post 7104 will host a Veterans Day breakfast, for all veterans and their family and friends. The post is located at 1200 East Tom Green Street.
Veterans Centennial Open House
3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Hosted by Brenham Heritage Museum and Chappell Hill Historical Society Museum
- Ceremony to honor Veterans featuring Bill Neinast, vocalist Nathaniel Hoelscher, and Judge John Brieden, Former National Commander of the American Legion
- Houston’s Shimmer Flute Choir
- Exhibition: Into the Raging Storm, Texas and Washington County in the Great War
- War Stories by various historians
- Light refreshments
Chappell Hill Historical Society Museum, 9220 Poplar Street
More info at www.ChappellHillHistoricalSociety.com.
Chappell Hill Historical Society President Joel Romo says the Veterans Day Open House is a great opportunity to see the museum’s World War I exhibition, which shows how much the world is changed by war and how much is owed to veterans.