The unemployment rate for Washington County and surrounding counties rebounded in October after increasing in September.
Washington County’s workforce in October totaled 15,230, with 803 unemployed. September’s labor force was 15,174, with 913 jobless. Last October, the county had an unemployment rate of 3 percent, with a workforce of 15,396 and 457 out of work.
The state’s unemployment rate improved to 6.9 percent in October from 8.3 percent in September. Amid a surge in coronavirus cases, Governor Greg Abbott has ruled out a return of lockdown measures for the state.
The jobless rates for surrounding counties include:
- Austin County – 6.2 percent, down from 7.1 percent in September.
- Brazos County – 4.5 percent, down from 5.3 percent.
- Burleson County – 5.6 percent, down from 6.8 percent.
- Fayette County – 4.5 percent, down from 5.4 percent in September.
- Grimes County – 7.6 percent, down from 8.8 percent.
- Lee County – 4.2 percent, down from 5 percent.
- Waller County – 7.4 percent, down from 8.6 percent.