Commissioners authorized the county to enter into a flexible spending account as a supplemental employee benefit. The account will be administered by the American Family Life Assurance Company (AFLAC).
Kendall Rohde of AFLAC said this account will allow employees to elect funds from their paychecks and contribute them towards an account usable by all county employees for medical expenses. Commissioner Joy Fuchs said, if an employee chooses to have a flexible savings account, they can outline an amount to set aside from their paychecks, pre-tax.
Rohde said, through a “conservative estimate”, he expects the county could save around $20,000 just in employee taxes. Fuchs said the program could be particularly useful for employees with young children who have a lot of medical bills.
County Judge John Durrenberger stressed that this program is not mandatory for employees to take part in.
Rohde plans to meet with employees in the county annex on August 31st to discuss the program and its benefits.
Also in session, commissioners approved an official agreement between the Sheriff’s Office and Trinity Services Group, Inc., for inmate food services at the county jail. The group will begin providing services at the jail on Sunday.
- Updated 16 job descriptions for the Road and Bridge Department, as presented by the County Engineer.
- Approved a request from the Washington County Appraisal District to retain excess funds from its 2017-18 budget, to use the funds for 2020 pictometry. The Appraisal District retained $39,275, of which around $11,000 will be used for Washington County entities. The rest will be used for entities such as Brenham and Burton ISD, the Cities of Brenham and Burton, and Blinn College.
- Approved the 2019-20 budget for the Appraisal District. This year’s budget amounts to $910,594, an $80,758 increase over last year’s budget.
- Approved formal notice from PGMS-Central Washington County Water Supply Corporation for a water line extension on Joyce Circle in Precinct Three.
- Approved a right-of-way permit application for the Washington County Fair antique tractor ride.