There will be a dedication of the Official Texas Historical Marker for the Milroy’s Garden and Orchard, located at the corner of Milroy and Scott Drive, located in the Walnut Hill subdivision.
The dedication ceremony will be held on June 20th at 2:30pm. A special program to honor the Milroy family and their contributions to Brenham and Texas will include Mayor Milton Tate, State Senator Lois Kolkhorst, post of the colors by John Moorman, special music by Rev. Patricia Dietrich, Lori Hasskarl stories, County Judge John Brieden and the Washington County Commissioners, members of the Historical Commission and many others.
Alexander Douglas Milroy, from Liverpool, England, came to Houston in 1887. Alexander married Sarah B Jackson of Weimer in June of 1883. In 1893, the family moved to the Bassett Building, where he added the third story, with a special sunlight dome to determine the staple length of cotton.
Alexander wanted to create something lovely for the people of Brenham, so he purchased 40.2 acres of land for the Milroy Garden and Orchard. Plants were purchased from England and he hired an English gardener.
His philosophy was “what one can do for Brenham.” Milroy helped build the Brenham Christian Church, Milroy Hospital and the Brenham Public Library.