The City of Brenham has released the names of the five finalists for the City Managers position. Terry Roberts, who has served as City Manager for 17 years is retiring at the end of January.
The five finalists are:
James Fisher who served as City Manager in Forney, Texas until September of this year. His employment contract with that city was terminated by their city council after a 1 year review of Fisher’s performance as City Manager.
Chris Heard who served as City Administrator in Lebanon Missouri until July of this year. Heard resigned from his position with the city of Lebanon in July after a dispute with the mayor over the division of authority there.
Carolyn Miller who is currently Assistant City Manager and Chief Financial Officer of the City of Brenham. Miller has been employed by the City of Brenham since 2005 serving in a number for financial positions. Miller resigned from her seat on the Blinn College Board in 2015 after serving as a Trustee for 4 years.
Bo Thomas who is the current City Manager for the city of Bellmead, Texas where he has served for the past 5 years. He also served as city manager in Page, Arizona for 9 ½ years and Hobbs, New Mexico for 8 years.
Todd Thompson who is the current City Manager in Galesburg, Illinois. He has held that position since 2011. Before that, he was the City Manager in Mexico, Missouri for 3 ½ years and the Assistant City Administrator in Raymore, Missouri for 7 years.
All five candidates are scheduled to be interviewed in person next Wednesday by City Council members. The Brenham City Council is expected to make their final selection in 3 to 4 weeks.
Background information on each candidate provided by the City of Brenham:
- Recently City Manager of Forney, Texas (pop: 19,000) for 1+ years until September 2017. 145 city employees and a $35 million budget.
- Former City Manager of Murphy, Texas (pop: 20,000) for 8 years until 2016.
- Former City Administrator of Bee Cave, Texas (pop: 2,500) for 10 years until 2008.
- Former City Manager of Muleshoe, Texas (pop: 5,000) for 2 years until 1998.
- Former City Administrator of Castroville, Texas (pop: 2,680) for 2 years until 1996.
- Former Assistant City Manager of Port Aransas, Texas (pop: 4,000) for 2 years until 1994.
- BBA in Management from West Texas A & M University in 1988.
- Master’s in Public Affairs from University of Texas at Dallas 2010.
- Recently City Administrator of Lebanon, Mo (pop: 14,709) April 2011 to July 2017. 200 city employees and a $54 million budget.
- Former City Administrator of Ashland, Mo. (pop: 3,707) 3+ years.
- Former Assistant City Administrator of St. Robert, Mo (pop: 4,340) 2 ½ years
- Immediate Past President of Missouri. City Managers Association 2014-2017.
- Bachelor in Communications from Missouri Western State College May 2000.
- Master in Public Administration from University of Missouri May 2004.
- Currently Assistant City Manager-Chief Financial Officer of the City of Brenham, Texas (pop: 16,000) for 2 ½ years since April 2015. Brenham has 240 employees and a budget of $64 million.
- Chief Financial Officer for the City of Brenham since June 2009.
- Director of Finance for the City of Brenham for 2 2/3rds years 2006-2009.
- Senior Accountant for the City of Brenham for 1 ½ years to October 2006.
- Corporate Controller for Kolkhorst Petroleum for 4 years to 2005.
- Various financial positions in Brenham at Baylor Scott and White, Washington County Chamber and O’Malley Strand Engineers for 6 years 1999-2001.
- The Methodist Hospital-Houston for 11 years ending as Corporate Manager in 1994.
- Certified Public Accountant licensed in the State of Texas since 1983.
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting from Texas A & M University in 1980.
- Currently City Manager of Bellmead, Texas (pop: 10,100) for 5+ years since July 2012. 78 city employees and a $14 million budget. .
- Former City Manager of Page, AZ. (pop: 7,500) for 9 ½ years to 2012.
- Former City Manager Hobbs, NM (pop: 28,000) for 8 years to 2002.
- Former Assistant City Manager 2 years and Risk Manager 4 years in Hobbs.
- Bachelor in Business Administration from New Mexico State University in 1984
- Currently City Manager of Galesburg, Illinois (pop: 32,195) for 6 ½ years since January 2011. 222 employees and a $66 million budget.
- Former City Manager of Mexico, Missouri (pop: 11,320) for 3-1/2 years until 2011.
- Former Assistant City Administrator of Raymore, Missouri (pop: 16,000) for 7 years until 2007 including one year as Acting City Administrator
- Management Assistant in Public Works for the City of Lee’s Summit, Missouri (pop: 70,000) for 2 ½ years until March 2000.
- Bachelor in Political Science from Southern Illinois University in 1993.
- Master’s in Public Administration from Southern Illinois University in 1995.