The Brenham Fire Department had a busy weekend, responding to seven calls between late Saturday morning and early Sunday morning.
At 11 a.m. Saturday, the department was dispatched to the 500 block of Green Street for an alarm sounding. Units arrived on location to find a bad smoke detector. They replaced the detector and returned to service.
At 1:15 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to the 900 block of Highway 290 East for a report of a child locked inside a vehicle. The child was out of the vehicle when the department arrived.
Shortly before 2:15 p.m., the department was sent out to the Brenham State Supported Living Center, 4001 Highway 36 South, for an alarm, but proper code was given for cancellation.
Just after 4:45 p.m., units responded to the 1800 block of Basin Trail for a gas leak in the area. They arrived to find a leak at the meter and waited for the City of Brenham Gas Department to make it to the scene.
Just past 6 p.m., the department was called out to another gas leak, this one in the 900 block of Harrington Street. Firefighters found a leak at the meter and stayed on location for the gas department to arrive before returning to the station.
At 10:30 p.m., units went out to Kountry Boys Sausage, 1909 Longwood Drive, for a report of a dumpster fire. They found the dumpster fully involved when they arrived. BFD members extinguished the fire and checked for hot spots. After finding none, all units returned to service.
At 5:30 a.m. Sunday, the department responded to Baylor Scott & White Medical Center, 700 Medical Parkway, for a report of smoke in the area. Units found steam coming from the hospital, but upon checking with security, learned that is a normal occurrence.