NO NEW MAYOR FOR BURTON AFTER CANDIDATE REMOVES NAME FROM CONSIDERATION
The City of Burton will not have a new mayor, at least not yet.
The Burton City Council was set to appoint businessman and Burton beautification committee member Pete Horn as mayor on Wednesday, after former mayor David Zajicek stepped down earlier this month.
However, the council was informed upon taking up the item that Horn had removed his name from consideration, so the council was forced to remove the item from the agenda.
Update @ 10:10 a.m.: In a statement to KWHI, Horn explained that he was asked by Zajicek to take the position because of his 45-year career in designing and building energy plants and infrastructure, as well as his “get-it-done reputation.” He said after reviewing the city’s infrastructure and financial condition, he proposed stabilizing the city financially and using that to bring the infrastructure to a reliable, expansion-capable state.
Horn said in trying to resolve several items that needed immediate attention, he realized his approach “did not fit with the existing perspective or methodology.” He said that, along with the availability of personal and business opportunities, contributed to his feeling that there were better uses of his time and that the city “would continue in its own way.” He maintained that he is still willing to help the city in any way it needs, other than public office.
Nathan Kalkhake will continue to serve as mayor pro tem while the city determines its next steps.
The council did move to rehire Angela Harrington as city secretary at a wage of $20 an hour. Harrington held the role before the previous city secretary, Adrian Cepeda.

Councilmembers also approved a mobile home variance for Berneake Gantt to move her mobile home onto property she owns on South Brazos Street. The council received presentations from Gantt and family members, other citizens and the Burton Bridge Ministry, a majority of which were in favor of granting the variance.
When it came time for a vote, Councilmember Tommie Gilmon voiced her support for allowing mobile homes, saying not everyone is able to afford building regular homes. Councilmember Paul McLaughlin said the citizens he has talked to have all indicated their disapproval of mobile homes. The council voted 2-1, with McLaughlin voting against.
The council also chose to remove an item from the agenda that would have removed Monday from city hall’s schedule. City hall will keep its current hours of 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
In other business, the council:
- Tabled action on conveying undeveloped property at the end of East Branch Street and the road formerly known as South Colorado Street to American Kinetics, Inc. (AMKIN).
- Approved the hiring of a part-time clerical assistant.
- Approved a certification of unopposed candidates and the cancellation of the May 7th
- Set a budget hearing for the 2022-23 city budgets for April 12that 5:30 p.m.
- Tabled action on appointing a committee member from Burton for the Washington County Appraisal District Budget Committee for 2022-23.
- Authorized the city to enter into an agreement with the state to close a segment of the state highway system in downtown Burton for the annual Cotton Gin Festival set for April 23rd.
- Agreed to open a new bank savings account to be named the Coronavirus Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (CLFRF) Account.
